FACTS ABOUT CHILD ABUSE IN OUR AREA
- Child abuse is a community health epidemic with long-term consequences for the child, the family, the community, and society.
- Every 35 seconds, a child in America is confirmed to have been abused or neglected.
- Every 6 hours, a child in America is killed by abuse or neglect.
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday.
- Alaska has the highest rates of child maltreatment in the country.
- According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Alaskan children are the victims of sexual assault at a rate six times the national average.
- The Child Advocacy Center (CAC) model is considered "best practice" according to research and is endorsed by the National Children's Alliance, the accrediting body for CAC.